In 2013, a new organizational structure was introduced at K2. The most important elements are that
- all scientific staff at the department must belong to a research group
- Head of Department appoints and terminates research groups and approves their leaders
- the research group leader must report directly to the Head of Department
- the research groups will as a rule consist of a minimum of six persons and will be headed by faculty personnel (at least 50% position)
- the groups should have published at least five articles annually over the last three years
The purpose of the research groups is to conduct research according to the regulations, ethical guidelines, and the Environment, Health, and Security (EHS) requirements that apply at UiB.
The tasks are among others to
- stimulate good research and optimal publishing and dissemination practices
- coordinate funding of the research group’s activity
- contribute to building up the institute’s infrastructure and expertise
- make sure that any UiB technician associated with the research group is used optimally
- ensure that annual appraisals with technical and temporary staff take place
- make sure that the research group’s publications are registered according to UiB’s requirements
- be responsible for the members of the research group contributing in the department’s teaching tasks and research training
- distributing assets to those who have generated the funds
- participate in the extended management group after appointment from the Head of Department
It is now six years since this structure was introduced. After site visits during spring 2018, it became clear that adjustments are necessary due to natural retirement and changes in activity for some of the groups. We have therefore initiated a process to chane the composition of some of the research groups. Permanent scientific staff for relevant groups will be called. Key questions for discussions will be
- Are the size of the group according to the intention?
- Are the composition of the scientific staff appropriate?
- Are there tasks the group wants to take on which can be suited for a platform service at K2
- Are there educational challenges that can be improved by a change?
- Are there other groups that are appropriate for potential merging?
After a discussion with the relevant groups, some new groups will be formed and leaders appointed. Feel free to contact me by mail regarding input in this process.